linkverzeichnis reiseinformationen

Travelling abroad

Are you Swiss?

As a Swiss citizen, you do not need a visa to enter EU/EFTA countries. A valid passport or identity card is generally sufficient. Depending on the regulations, you can also enter an EU/EFTA country with an expired passport. If in doubt, contact your foreign representative.

Non-EU/EFTA countries require a valid passport or identity card, which should be valid beyond the return date (e.g. at least six months after the return date). Sometimes you will need a visa and other travel documents (e.g. proof of health insurance, etc.).

You are a foreigner resident in Switzerland

Foreign nationals from the EU/EFTA area

A valid travel document (passport, emergency passport or identity card) is sufficient to travel to EU/EFTA countries. For travel in countries outside the EU/EFTA area, enquire about the applicable travel regulations at the respective representations in Switzerland.

Foreigners from non-EU/EFTA countries / Travel within the Schengen area

Third-country nationals in possession of a valid B, C, L and Ci Swiss residence permit are exempt from the visa requirement for visiting the Schengen area (up to 90 days per period of 180 days). It is mandatory to carry a valid Swiss residence permit and a valid travel document (Swiss passport or Swiss travel document for foreigners).

However, this does not apply to Great Britain and Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania and Croatia, which are not part of the Schengen area. Visas may be required for travel to these countries.

Please note: Neither the Swiss identity card F nor the Swiss identity card N entitles you to travel within the Schengen area, even if you have a valid travel document.


  • The travel information of Family and Friends is a useful guide for the careful planning of a trip.
  • However, Family and Friends cannot relieve travellers of the decision and responsibility for the preparation and execution of a trip.
  • Family and Friends does not take over guarantee for the completeness of the travel information and for the correctness of the contents of linked external Internet sites.
  • Family and Friends disclaims any liability for any damages in connection with a trip.

1 thought on “Travelling abroad”

  1. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top